The world is currently online!

Welcome to Emps-World!

Register now to gain access to all of our forum features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies, send private messages, manage your profile, chat with other players in the shoutbox and much more. Once you sign in, this message will disappear.

Pages: 1

Offline Charr

• Liked: 3226 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Thieving overhaul
« on: August 17, 2015, 04:59:54 pm »

If you have any constructive feedback, please post it below. If you simply agree with the suggestion you can thank the post, no need to spam.

Thieving is currently one of the most boring skills in the game, aside from it being boring to train it also doesn't server much purpose as a skill. It definitely needs more content and I'm here to suggest some. Thieving is a big part of our members content, it's a skill that can be improved upon so much as it feels really dull at the moment.

More enjoyable training methods

Blackjacking
A blackjack is a weapon you can use to knock out or lure npcs that can be pickpocketed. If knocked out it will guarrantee two pickpockets, if you fail to knock the npc out he will hurt you for more damage than normal. It should offer somewhat less frustration while training on npcs at the cost of being hit higher. Note: getting hit while trying to knock-out will not stun you. Different blackjacks have different chances of knocking someone out, they all have different thieving level requirements and can be bought at the thieves guild which I will talk about later.

Pyramid plunder
A solo minigame that revolves around you stealing as much as you can. Rewards shop could contain some cosmetic items and gloves of silence which will reduce your chances of being caught. It should give the al kharid desert some more content, which is always nice.

Lockpicking
The ability to pick a lock off a chest or a door. This can be used in many ways, certain chests should give you some nice rewards and some doors could be opened as shortcuts. Some examples are the door in slayer tower that requires a tower key, the door in barb dungeon which requires a dusty key. Both these doors should be able to get lockpicked at a certain thieving level. There's also this chest in the wilderness that could give you notes uncuts when stolen from. Plenty of options here.

Better rewards

Puzzle boxes
On a low chance while pickpocketing, you will get a puzzle box. Upon completing a puzzle you will recieve a reward, these could vary from lamps to half keys to chest keys. These puzzle boxes would contain puzzles that are already in runescape, though I'm not 100% sure if they're in our client. Runesudoku from rouge trader could be used, as well as the puzzle box and celtic knot from clue scrolls.

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Rogue_Trader
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Treasure_Trails/Guide/Puzzle_boxes
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Celtic_knot

Changes to crystal/burnt chest
The rewards from both these chests are near junk-state, they aren't being sold nor being bought. I suggest making the actual rewards rarer.
Changes for the crystal chest:
  • Add runes/d arrows/d darts as a common reward
  • Make the exclusive rewards (trimmed armours and such) rarer to get
  • Make it so that you can use the exclusive rewards on the chest for a half key, this should act as a sink for unwanted items
Changes for the burnt chest:
  • Add a second lock to it which requires 50 thieving to be picked, gives exp when unlocked, locked after every key
  • Add runes/lamps/d arrows/d darts as common rewards
  • Make exclusive rewards rarer than they are now
  • Add in a really really low chance to get one of the keys you'll need for the key ring, this should give people more reason to use the keys
  • Mentaphite clothing as well as desert outfits could be added to the chest as well (including a fez)
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Menaphite_clothing
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Desert_outfit

Jail
Guards, be it the ones near stalls or just plain city guards should get a bit more scary. They should have a chance to knock you out when hitting you, upon being knocked out you are taken to jail. This will only work if you've been caught stealing. To get out of jail you can lockpick the door for some additional thieving exp or teleport out.

Thieves guild
Thieving is kind of all over the place, a thieving guild would be nice. This would be the place where you buy lockpicks, blackjacks. Where you can train thieving a bit as well, there should be some men to pickpocket, some chests to lockpick and some thieving trainers that will give you tips as well. If our map supports it, we could straight up use the thieves guild that rs has. In rs it's located below a house in lumbridge, that might be a decent location but lumbridge isn't all that populated. It would be better to put it somewhere in varrock. If the thieves guild isn't in our map, the black arm gang hideout can be used instead.

http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Thieves'_Guild
http://runescape.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Arm_Gang

/End
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 07:19:31 pm by Charr »
;
The following users liked this post: P0siner, Hugo Terwiss, Bad Fight, Mtn Alin0, The Ava, Ledomy10, Hazerofdoom

Offline H3lix

• Liked: 50 times
  • +0/-0
  • Il Pk I [01|May 10:35 pm]: lucifer was great
    • View Profile
Re: Thieving overhaul
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 05:14:19 pm »
1) At the start i think you should start that "My opinion is, that thieving is boring..." etc. it's not a fact ._.
2) It all sounds cool and all, but coding it and adding it to the game without bugs, will take time (you'll get 99 thieving first ._.)
3) My suggestion is that, the xp ratios should be balanced more out, from 70-99 thieving the xp's are too unbalanced and without double xp, you just might go crazy
4) Maybe open up or add more high level stalls, because from 70-99 you maybe have max 5 normals spots to train thieving. (Normal as in, not very far from a teleporting location or any other risky are, where you might get killed [Safe wildy])

ADD:
1) not many players are members nowadays (too much Pkers and stakers), no need to do a huge update with 200 ppl

Offline Bubblebeam2

• Liked: 860 times
  • +0/-0
  • Aaron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 05:19:17 pm »
As per usual, a very well thought out suggestion.
Thieving does need some help, and I think you may have found all the right solutions.

About the burnt chest idea:
Does that mean that people would have to have 50 thieving to unlock the chest at all? Or would it be just a secondary lock with extra rewards?

There could be areas throughout Emps-World with these lockpick-only style rewards chests, where you can get all sorts of useful items, the rewards scaling with the required thieving levels. Possible rewards could be more blackjacks, maybe rare cosmetic thieving gear that raises xp gain by a small amount for each piece (Rates for rare items would increase as thieving level requirement increases), and small amounts of gp that scale with level requirements, matching or slightly surpassing pickpocketing amounts.

Thomy [21|Sep 03:14 pm]:   :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman:

Playing since 2008
Need help? Message me anytime!
Open bob and vegene plis

Offline Someone12116

• Liked: 3751 times
  • +0/-0
  • I drink and I know things
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 05:46:39 pm »
Wants to make thieving more enjoyable -> suggest black jacking, which is AT LEAST 10 times more click intensive than regular pickpocketing. m8. u high?

I don't see a need for the puzzles, people here seem to struggle using the helpdesk and forums correctly, or in other words, most players would just be too dumb to solve them rofl

Jail: sure it would make sense that the guards fought crime, but wouldn't that make training more annoying?

Crystal/smoke chest: The rewards from both these chests are near junk-state, they aren't being sold nor being bought
Yeah, no need to make that group of items include arrows, darts and other supplies that actually have demand atm as well.

Thieves guild, why not.

Pyramid Plunder, yas pls!
The following users liked this post: Bad Fight, Shoaib

Offline Charr

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 06:27:39 pm »
At the start i think you should start that "My opinion is, that thieving is boring..." etc. it's not a fact ._.
Bad exp rates and no benefit whatsoever to those that train it for the skill itself, I'm sorry but it might as well be a fact.
It all sounds cool and all, but coding it and adding it to the game without bugs, will take time
Thanks captain obvious, however that time will result in people being more likely to spend some time thieving
My suggestion is that, the xp ratios should be balanced more out, from 70-99 thieving the xp's are too unbalanced and without double xp, you just might go crazy
I don't disagree to this, however I feel people still wouldn't get any enjoyment whatsoever out of thieving itself.
Maybe open up or add more high level stalls, because from 70-99 you maybe have max 5 normals spots to train thieving. (Normal as in, not very far from a teleporting location or any other risky are, where you might get killed [Safe wildy])
The only stall in safe wild is a silver stall, there is one in ardougne as well. Stalls are almost never contested, especially not the ones in ardougne. The only stall that is ever contested is the gem stall in al kharid. One higher level stall would be more than enough, but what would it's reward be for successfully stealing?
not many players are members nowadays (too much Pkers and stakers), no need to do a huge update with 200 ppl
New players get 10 days of free membership, if thieving was improved upon maybe it would give them more reason to get membership. Better member content would encourage more people to actually get it, we lack member features, thus we lack member-users.
About the burnt chest idea:
Does that mean that people would have to have 50 thieving to unlock the chest at all? Or would it be just a secondary lock with extra rewards?
Yes, it does.
Wants to make thieving more enjoyable -> suggest black jacking, which is AT LEAST 10 times more click intensive than regular pickpocketing. m8. u high?
Because why fail pickpocketing if you can knock someone's head off and get at 2 guarranteed pickpockets for a little bit of effort. More clicks =/= less enjoyable.
;

Offline H3lix

• Liked: 50 times
  • +0/-0
  • Il Pk I [01|May 10:35 pm]: lucifer was great
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 09:06:00 pm »
At the start i think you should start that "My opinion is, that thieving is boring..." etc. it's not a fact ._.
Bad exp rates and no benefit whatsoever to those that train it for the skill itself, I'm sorry but it might as well be a fact.
When you have your first 10 free member days, thieving comes handy, most players are poor af, then when they're short 1k they won't go plant herbs or kill dragons or whatever, they go to a guard, pickpocket them dry and move on, it's not useless, it's useless to you because you have more money they you can spend. (that's a compliment tho ._.)

It all sounds cool and all, but coding it and adding it to the game without bugs, will take time
Thanks captain obvious, however that time will result in people being more likely to spend some time thieving
No need to use sarcasm, just pointing out some facts. People use as much time on thieving as they will with the minigames etc. the xp is same 13million something. Thieving isn't a skill that most of the players are fond of. so the time they will spend on thieving will be the same, the quality might change, but in the end........ nothing else matters.

My suggestion is that, the xp ratios should be balanced more out, from 70-99 thieving the xp's are too unbalanced and without double xp, you just might go crazy
I don't disagree to this, however I feel people still wouldn't get any enjoyment whatsoever out of thieving itself.
Yes thieving is boring, but i find agility more useless and boring, yet there isn't any possible reason for me to train from 80-99 agility, i can run 24/7, it won't give me any bonuses orso, so won't thieving, some skills are just useless. (might aswell be a fact.)

Maybe open up or add more high level stalls, because from 70-99 you maybe have max 5 normals spots to train thieving. (Normal as in, not very far from a teleporting location or any other risky are, where you might get killed [Safe wildy])
The only stall in safe wild is a silver stall, there is one in ardougne as well. Stalls are almost never contested, especially not the ones in ardougne. The only stall that is ever contested is the gem stall in al kharid. One higher level stall would be more than enough, but what would it's reward be for successfully stealing?
Gems, gems are truly outrageous. as said before, everything shouldn't make u rich or give you tons of cash, for example, firemaking, people buy logs and burn them, what's the f***ing point of it? there isn't.

not many players are members nowadays (too much Pkers and stakers), no need to do a huge update with 200 ppl
New players get 10 days of free membership, if thieving was improved upon maybe it would give them more reason to get membership. Better member content would encourage more people to actually get it, we lack member features, thus we lack member-users.
Yeah to this one i totally agree, if member skills and things are more unique then people would go ham for a member ring (woop woop thomy will get cash and member ring prices will go up)

Offline Bad Fight

• Liked: 20 times
  • +0/-0
  • Many like to dream, but only some like to act
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 10:01:35 am »
Make it so that you can't teleport out of the jail, but if you fail picking the lock you have to stay there a certain amount of time or pay a fee to get out. And you have like 1-3 tries to pick the lock. (like in Skyrim you have only 1 lock pick)

Offline Irfox

• Liked: 121 times
  • +0/-0
  • Play Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 10:05:35 am »
None of these seem to make thieving exciting (apart from maybe the minigame)

they just add extra steps to the thieving process.

Offline Charr

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 10:07:55 am »
Make it so that you can't teleport out of the jail, but if you fail picking the lock you have to stay there a certain amount of time or pay a fee to get out. And you have like 1-3 tries to pick the lock. (like in Skyrim you have only 1 lock pick)
Kinda wanted to make it like this, but I feel it would cause too much frustration then. Jails don't know magic. Paying a fee is something I wouldn't mind but would be difficult to code if there isn't a banker in jail. You could also just bring 27 lockpicks to jail but that's none of my business. Teleport option is just to cause less frustration, you get exp for breaking out, should be enough.
(like in Skyrim you have only 1 lock pick)
Yeah, but in skyrim there's a way to know in what position you have to put your lockpick. With that information it's nearly impossible to fail to pick locks, even with one pick. #I'veplayedwaytoomuchskyrim
None of these seem to make thieving exciting (apart from maybe the minigame)

they just add extra steps to the thieving process.
They may not make it 10/10 michael bay explosions exciting, but they do make it less frustrating and more rewarding.
;

Offline Kena

• Liked: 51 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 03:09:17 am »
i love this idea , thieving is one of the lowest skills i have at the moment because it is utterly useless and extremely boring.
i'd like for the guild to be in lumbridge though BECAUSE it is underpopulated and adding another reason apart from the med level slayer master to come to this town would be nice.
The following users liked this post: Theoneofall
Pages: 1