The world is currently online!

Welcome to Emps-World!

Register now to gain access to all of our forum features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies, send private messages, manage your profile, chat with other players in the shoutbox and much more. Once you sign in, this message will disappear.

Pages: 1 2

Offline Hi Im Ethan

• Liked: 433 times
  • +0/-0
  • Paragraph Warrior
    • View Profile
Giving Wiki Contributors an in-game rank
« on: September 28, 2017, 05:06:37 pm »
This has been a subject talked about briefly before but has yet to have any form of actual suggestion regarding it so I thought I'd create a formal suggestion for it.

With the amount of content on the wiki required to be inspected and updated by currently a pretty small wiki team, there is a big reliance on players to help us find and fix errors or outdated information on the wiki itself. This is mainly done through the wiki feedback thread on the forum, but with the seemingly-majority of our playerbase not familiar with or generally uninterested in using the forums, it's hard to rely on this topic to get a large sum of traffic. Granted it is still used, but I don't think it is currently used enough as we'd like it to be. This is coupled with the general lack of information in-game regarding who exactly players can go to to talk about and discuss wiki feedback and report things that need to be updated. I've seen discussions before where people, rather than going to forums or telling me what needs to be updated once informed, simply go on about how "the wiki is outdated" or "things on the wiki are wrong," etc. It always seems like very few people actually know who is on the wiki team in-game.

Since the wiki team is currently rather small, I think it would possibly be beneficial to giving us in-game Wiki Contributor ranks, much like how we have the ranks here on the forums. This could be a simple icon like perhaps a W next to our names to make us distinguishable but not confuse our roles with those of the staff team and their crowns. You could put members of the wiki team on the staff team list as well, but I don't think that this is necessary since it again requires a reliance on people to look at the forums rather than in-game. We'd have to look over who currently has the Wiki Contributor rank on the forums as well and remove any ranks of players no longer on the wiki team (I've seen one or two I believe) to get rid of any confusion should any of those players choose to play or return to the game.

Not that this is a major necessity, but I feel that helping us stand out in-game to those who generally don't know how to report on stuff like this would be beneficial. We have the ranks on the forum and now in Discord, but as far as I've seen this has done very little to help distinguish us as who we are and what our role is in-game.
The following users liked this post: S Clegane

Offline Charr

• Liked: 3226 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Giving Wiki Contributors an in-game rank
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 05:41:12 pm »
I would rather see this done with tutorials than ranks. Tutorials on how to report things are long overdue. Get official ones out for the helpdesk and mistakes on the wiki. Put links to them in the quest tab, maybe incorporate them in the tutorial. Broadcasts with basic information every few minutes might also help.

I think that we should encourage forum use more in general.
;
The following users liked this post: Hi Im Ethan

Offline Hi Im Ethan

• Liked: 433 times
  • +0/-0
  • Paragraph Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 05:44:21 pm »
You want to feel special?
Not really, whether or not this happens I'm fine with it either way.

I would rather see this done with tutorials than ranks. Tutorials on how to report things are long overdue. Get official ones out for the helpdesk and mistakes on the wiki. Put links to them in the quest tab, maybe incorporate them in the tutorial. Broadcasts with basic information every few minutes might also help.

I think that we should encourage forum use more in general.
Dunno how we would go about encouraging more forum use, but those ideas sound like good alternatives.

Offline Jp

• Liked: 1764 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 08:14:25 pm »
How about making wiki editors their own little section under Emps-World/Community part of the forums along with the in-game rank? You could add a wiki editor list there with all the names people can contact releated to wiki, how one can apply to be a wiki editor, wiki editing guide, wiki feedback thread etc... Hi I'm Jp and after being a staff membef for ~14 months I noticed this exists but only visible to wiki editors and staff but it would be nice and more beneficial if it's visible for everyone.

Anyway, in-game rank would be a great thing I suppose. People would see who to contact releated to wiki stuff.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 08:20:53 pm by Jp »

Offline Tulrak

• Liked: 667 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 09:54:35 pm »
How about making wiki editors their own little section under Emps-World/Community part of the forums along with the in-game rank? You could add a wiki editor list there with all the names people can contact releated to wiki, how one can apply to be a wiki editor, wiki editing guide, wiki feedback thread etc... Hi I'm Jp and after being a staff membef for ~14 months I noticed this exists but only visible to wiki editors and staff but it would be nice and more beneficial if it's visible for everyone.

Anyway, in-game rank would be a great thing I suppose. People would see who to contact releated to wiki stuff.
If possible then could also consider giving people with Wiki Contributor rank the right to edit posts in the wiki section. Could be useful if the person, who made the topic is not updating it, but something needs to be changed or added.

As for the wiki rank, I'm not against trying it out but I don't think it would really have much of an effect.

Also about this in wiki:

That message could be turned into bold and have a bigger font size or something, I hadn't even noticed that it is on every wiki page and as such I think that other people might not either. Could also replace the "Let us know at the forums" with "Report it at the forums" or "Report it here" (and turn that whole thing into a link to the topic, instead of just the single word), I think it would make it sound a bit more serious and might let people know that their feedback is taken seriously.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2017, 02:24:59 pm by Magecrune »

Offline Jp

• Liked: 1764 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 10:40:43 pm »
I kind of wrote my insights/idea in a rush but yeah that's exactly what I was looking for. Move the wiki discussion section from Staff to under Emps-World/Community and have all the things in there visible (and add things like how to apply threads etc...) for everyone because there are no "secrets" in there and if possible everyone with the wiki rank would be able to edit/lock/sticky threads within that section.

Offline Just Humen

• Liked: 698 times
  • +0/-0
  • ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2017, 05:37:21 am »
made
Glad to know I'm not the only one getting blocked by Charr.

OT: I agree

Emps-World Player Moderator since Saturday, August 13th, 2016.
Emps-World Game Moderator since Friday, October 28th, 2016.
Resigned on Sunday, January 1st, 2017.
The following users liked this post: Hi Im Ethan, Saif Nawaf

Offline Freestuffyay

• Liked: 1267 times
  • +0/-0
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2017, 08:02:15 am »
In-game ranks usually start off with one thing (wiki contr) then people start demanding other ranks aswell like on every other private server like donator ranks or youtube ranks helper ranks.

I'd rather only see staff ranks ingame so people don't do wiki just to get some ingame rank which will make the quality of the emps wiki go down
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 08:04:00 am by Freestuffyay »

the darkest nights make the brightest stars

#7 200M Magic
#13 200M Strength

Offline Jhonson

• Liked: 354 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2017, 09:55:41 am »
Staff have in-game ranks so people won't be tricked by any impersonator that claims to be staff. I don't think anyone will falsely claim that they're a wiki contributor.

With that being said, I find this suggestion unnecessary.

Offline Mary

• Liked: 170 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2017, 01:25:19 pm »
Also about this in wiki:

i'll take a quick look at this but it requires me having access to the database i currently am not sure of having. It's not a setting you can edit as a wiki admin.

a small rank with a book to the left of your name (like ironman) and access to world 3 would probably help a lot.
The following users liked this post: Jp, Hi Im Ethan, S Clegane

Offline Someone12116

• Liked: 3751 times
  • +0/-0
  • I drink and I know things
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2017, 02:19:17 pm »
Also about this in wiki:

i'll take a quick look at this but it requires me having access to the database i currently am not sure of having. It's not a setting you can edit as a wiki admin.

a small rank with a book to the left of your name (like ironman) and access to world 3 would probably help a lot.

Access to world 3 should help to get pages written quicker. Managing the ranks might become a hassle at some point if the number of editors suddenly increases by a lot and I guess picking up editors should become a bit more strict because of that, if the ranks were implemented. Currently the pretty much only ''requirements'' are fluent English and some knowledge about the game. I don't see the in-game icon being necessary.

but I feel that helping us stand out in-game to those who generally don't know how to report on stuff like this would be beneficial.

Those type of people are, most of the time but not always, young and might not even understand English that well. I don't see an icon beside somebody's name changing that. They have probably never used any forums or wiki for information in their whole life. It would be silly to expect people to learn or even want to learn that because of an icon.
The following users liked this post: Hi Im Ethan, S Clegane

Offline Il Skill L

• Liked: 1275 times
  • +0/-0
  • ༼つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Tyvm Karel for great avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2017, 02:23:12 pm »
Having more ingame ranks has never in the history of emps been a thing that developers wanted to see.. Veterans, donators, wiki team, best pkers and whatnot have been suggested countless of times but never has it become a thing. And I can see why. First of all it would make us look 'cheap', 2nd of all it would become confusing if every 2nd player had some sort of symbol in front of their names.
If wiki team ingame rank becomes a thing then i can see many players trying to join the wiki team just to have that icon in front of their names without actually doing anything good for the wiki..
I'd rather see a forums functionality for them and as mary said, access to world 3 if it's necessary/helpful in any way.

@charr, please for the love of god stop suggesting more tutorials. Nobody likes tutorials and most of the people will find the quickest way to skip it without it having any positive effect on the gameplay..
Also i find broadcasting basic information to be annoying as hell. If this becomes a thing then i hope that a way to turn this feature off is also broadcasted.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2017, 05:08:35 pm by Il Skill L »

King125: minimum wage in estonia 2.5€ wtf
King125: 25€ for 10h work day :D :D :D
King125: i could make more sucking emps scape dick
The following users liked this post: Hi Im Ethan, Jandar, Junkz, S Clegane

Offline Tulrak

• Liked: 667 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2017, 07:40:52 pm »
Managing the ranks might become a hassle at some point if the number of editors suddenly increases by a lot and I guess picking up editors should become a bit more strict because of that, if the ranks were implemented. Currently the pretty much only ''requirements'' are fluent English and some knowledge about the game. I don't see the in-game icon being necessary.
If wiki team ingame rank becomes a thing then i can see many players trying to join the wiki team just to have that icon in front of their names without actually doing anything good for the wiki..

We actually have rather high standards for when people get the wiki contributor rank on the forum, wiki editors need to have been active on wiki for several months before the request for the forum rank is even considered and that's when the only benefit of having the rank is having the wiki userbar and getting access to a practically empty wiki section.
The in-game rank if there were to be one, would be based on who earns the forum rank, not based on who gets a wiki account.

Other than that the wiki admins have quite a lot of control over wiki, so I wouldn't worry about the quality of wiki going down as we can easily block people, revert edits, protect pages from being edited by non-admins and there are no clear standards for anything, so if we choose to suddenly demand that someone needs to write 10 useful guides, have 100 days online-time on the forum, have been a staff member for more than 13 months and have a degree in both women's studies and disability studies, then we could do that and there would be no way around those requirements.

@charr, please for the love of god stop suggesting more tutorials. Nobody likes tutorials and most of the people will find the quickest way to skip it without it having any positive effect on the gameplay..
Also i find broadcasting basic information to be annoying as hell. If this becomes a thing then i hope that a way to turn this feature off is also broadcasted.
I completely agree with this, please don't do this. This would be really annoying and help no one.
The following users liked this post: Il Skill L, Someone12116, Hi Im Ethan, Jandar, S Clegane

Offline Pk Range99

• Liked: 209 times
  • +0/-0
  • ye
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 10:45:24 am »
I don't think it would lower wiki quality at all, it's not like you give the rank to any random guy who asks? And you could even give it to wiki-admins only tbh

1. Player moderator 18/04/2017
2. Game moderator ?? ??
3. Profit 25/08/2017

Offline Someone12116

• Liked: 3751 times
  • +0/-0
  • I drink and I know things
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2017, 06:33:07 pm »
it's not like you give the rank to any random guy