The world is currently online!

Welcome to Emps-World!

Register now to gain access to all of our forum features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies, send private messages, manage your profile, chat with other players in the shoutbox and much more. Once you sign in, this message will disappear.

Pages: 1

Offline Utter Chaos

• Liked: 5 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Forum Cleanup Process
« on: January 13, 2015, 11:55:11 pm »
Hey guys,

I think there should be some sort of process in place that will automatically clean up old forum posts. Today I was browsing the forums and came across a couple of questions that I could answer in the computers section. Both of these posts were on the very first page of the topic, so I didn't think to look at the date posted before answering them. A little while later I received a warning telling me not to respond to old forum posts ("digging"). I believe these types of posts should be cleaned up. I personally do not understand why it's against the rules to answer a question that had gone without an answer for 2 months, but if it is against the rules, it should be prevented from happening in the first place.

Thanks,
Cody
The following users liked this post: Tgod Bro, Eliminator

Offline Joshiee

• Liked: 701 times
  • +0/-0
  • Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Cleanup Process
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 12:12:21 am »
Just look at the date before posting on them. ???

:kappa:
The following users liked this post: Tgod Bro

Offline H A R L E Y

• Liked: 64 times
  • +0/-0
  • Just an old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 12:29:35 am »
Dumbest rule ever created, we should be allowed to post on any topic on the forums that is not locked without getting an infringement, some old posts are still relevant in some ways and like you say if there just aloud to be left there without being locked or removed then we should have the right to post on them.
The following users liked this post: Tgod Bro, Eliminator, Utter Chaos

Mod Mary

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 01:50:05 am »
I might redefine the rule so it actually only targets spammers and actual diggers.
If a question was left unanswered you should be able to reply on it. Questions in general discussion however, that have been discussed already, should not be digged up.

Offline H A R L E Y

• +0/-0
  • Just an old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 02:46:37 am »
I might redefine the rule so it actually only targets spammers and actual diggers.
If a question was left unanswered you should be able to reply on it. Questions in general discussion however, that have been discussed already, should not be digged up.
Yes please that's great.

Offline Chazz

• Liked: 586 times
  • +0/-0
  • f
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 03:21:09 am »
Or be answered by 50 people
I like your more active locking of threads as of recently. But the whole 'unanswered questions' things happens around once every never.

Archive: http://pastebin.com/LTEXJMgE
IGN: Rican soul15

Offline 1egend

• Liked: 53 times
  • +1/-0
  • Complete! Now I can sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 03:34:31 am »
Isn't there a red message displayed when someone attempts to dig up a topic? It'll say this topic has been dead for 'x' amount of days?
Clear eyes, Full heart, Can't lose

Support this weeks SOTW!!

Irl name- Dallas / Sallad / Dally

Offline Someone12116

• Liked: 3751 times
  • +0/-0
  • I drink and I know things
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 06:22:15 am »
Some moderators give warnings way too easily. I personally do not have anything against digging, as long as the person doing so contributes to the discussion, or in other words, doesn't spam.
The following users liked this post: Tgod Bro, H A R L E Y

Offline Range 4 Meee

• Liked: 441 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 06:25:16 am »
Every week there are a lot of topics created, it would take quite some time every few weeks to delete those topics..

Emps-World Moderator since January 21th, 2015
Emps-World Administrator since March 15th, 2015
Resigned since June 1st, 2015

Offline H A R L E Y

• +0/-0
  • Just an old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 08:20:56 am »
Some moderators give warnings way too easily. I personally do not have anything against digging, as long as the person doing so contributes to the discussion, or in other words, doesn't spam.
Exactly, who cares how old it is as long as the new comment is contributing or not spam like you said. Thanks for giving me some faith in the current mods being selected. +1
« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 08:23:39 am by H A R L E Y »

Mod Mary

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 12:04:58 pm »
Exactly, who cares how old it is as long as the new comment is contributing or not spam like you said. Thanks for giving me some faith in the current mods being selected. +1
I absolutely agree with that, but some people might be tight on the rules ;)

I'll check if I can find a forum setting that would display the digging warning message faster (like 7 or 10 days instead of 30)

Offline Utter Chaos

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 01:18:43 pm »
Every week there are a lot of topics created, it would take quite some time every few weeks to delete those topics..

This is why I suggested that there be a process put in place. Instead of manually deleting every post, have a batch process that runs every so often that will remove old topics. However, this may not be possible if the forum isnt directly hosted on a local server.
The following users liked this post: Eliminator

Offline Eliminator

• Liked: 123 times
  • +0/-0
  • Everybody believes they are the good guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 08:46:16 pm »
This is why I suggested that there be a process put in place. Instead of manually deleting every post, have a batch process that runs every so often that will remove old topics. However, this may not be possible if the forum isnt directly hosted on a local server.

I could not agree with this more. Implementing this would eliminate the whole rule.

- Drugs are bad, mmkay -

"The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people." - Charlie Chaplin

"Nothing inspires forgiveness quite like revenge." - Scott Adams

Offline H A R L E Y

• +0/-0
  • Just an old fart
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 09:13:24 pm »

What about old posts/Topics that are not wanted to be deleted, guides etc.

Offline Utter Chaos

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 12:00:17 am »

What about old posts/Topics that are not wanted to be deleted, guides etc.

The batch file could be set up to only target specific boards. It could also be set up to ignore certain topics, for example anything started by an Admin or anything that hasn't been answered.
Pages: 1