The world is currently online!

Welcome to Emps-World!

Register now to gain access to all of our forum features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies, send private messages, manage your profile, chat with other players in the shoutbox and much more. Once you sign in, this message will disappear.

Pages: 1 2

Offline Lars

• Liked: 426 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Riddle
« on: May 11, 2015, 03:10:09 pm »
A ship that was carrying 2 crates with a total of 4000 watermelons crashed into a rock. After a few hours one of the crates, together with 5 of the ship's sailors, stranded on a little island. On this island they found nothing but 1 monkey.

During the night sailor 1 woke up and took a look at the crate full of watermelons. He divided them fairly over himself and his 4 buddies. However, when he was done dividing them, he noticed that there was 1 watermelon leftover. He gave that one to the monkey. After that he hid his part somewhere on the island put the other watermelons back in the crate.

One hour later, sailor 2 woke up. He followed the same approach as sailor one, except he could only divide the watermelons that sailor 1 had left behind. He too noticed that there was 1 watermelon leftover and he gave it to the monkey.

Sailor 3, 4 and 5 did exactly the same.

The next morning when they all wake up they see that there are still some watermelons in the crate. However this time it is possible to divide the watermelons over the 5 sailors without giving one to the monkey.

How many watermelons were in the crate?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 04:10:44 pm by Lars »

Offline Drugs

• Liked: 3660 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Riddle
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 03:43:23 pm »
Well I don't know the answer but I'm happy that none of the sailors were black, in that case by the morning there would be 0 watermelons in a create.

The following users liked this post: Someone12116, Suryoyo Ko

Offline Charr

• Liked: 3226 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 03:51:29 pm »
Could you specify how many watermelons were in either crate, it seems sort of impossible to solve without any info as to how many watermelons were in the crates.
;

Offline Lars

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 04:11:03 pm »
Could you specify how many watermelons were in either crate, it seems sort of impossible to solve without any info as to how many watermelons were in the crates.
It's not.

Offline Suryoyo Ko

• Liked: 2 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 04:19:22 pm »
I'm sure everyones wondering how that monkey ended up at the island :kappa:

Offline Lars

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 04:22:45 pm »
Magic.

Offline Drugs

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 04:26:01 pm »
Yeah cause monkies only live in a zoo

Offline Chazz

• Liked: 586 times
  • +0/-0
  • f
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 07:08:17 pm »
You said there were 2 crates on the ship but only one crate was used in these series of events.

From there I can only speculate that the crates were identical and contained half half of the total 4000 watermelons. So 2000.

Archive: http://pastebin.com/LTEXJMgE
IGN: Rican soul15

Offline Drugs

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 08:12:38 pm »
A ship that was carrying 2 crates with a total of 4000 watermelons crashed into a rock. After a few hours one of the crates, together with 5 of the ship's sailors, stranded on a little island. On this island they found nothing but 1 monkey.

During the night sailor 1 woke up and took a look at the crate full of watermelons. He divided them fairly over himself and his 4 buddies. However, when he was done dividing them, he noticed that there was 1 watermelon leftover. He gave that one to the monkey. After that he hid his part somewhere on the island put the other watermelons back in the crate.

One hour later, sailor 2 woke up. He followed the same approach as sailor one, except he could only divide the watermelons that sailor 1 had left behind. He too noticed that there was 1 watermelon leftover and he gave it to the monkey.

The next morning when they all wake up they see that there are still some watermelons in the crate. However this time it is possible to divide the watermelons over the 5 sailors without giving one to the monkey.

Row row row your boat, row it in the middle of the pacific ocean, And if you see a floating rock, don't forget to scream.

Offline Suryoyo Ko

• Liked: 2 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 08:28:35 pm »

Row row row your boat, row it in the middle of the pacific ocean, And if you see a floating rock, don't forget to scream.

Lal la lal la lal la lal la lal

Offline M3an123

• Liked: 119 times
  • +0/-0
  • AdiĆ³s mis amigos
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 08:35:47 pm »
When reaching the 3+ Sailors' calculation it gets complicated, like there is no logical answer lol, there would be 3 watermelons leftover when the third Sailor divides them..

Hint pls

EDIT: The last two numbers must be 70 eh?:D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2015, 08:55:13 pm by M3an123 »

Offline Big Chris

• Liked: 95 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2015, 07:03:50 am »
There were 2 crates with a total of 2000 watermelons. Assuming each crate had to have watermelon(s) in them, and you are dealing with one crate, there could be anywhere from 1 to 1999 watermelons in the crate that we are talking about (1 in the other). There are not 2000 watermelons in the crate because at least 1 watermelon must remain in the other crate.

-Big Chris

Offline Chazz

• Liked: 586 times
  • +0/-0
  • f
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2015, 07:47:49 am »
There were 2 crates with a total of 2000 watermelons. Assuming each crate had to have watermelon(s) in them, and you are dealing with one crate, there could be anywhere from 1 to 1999 watermelons in the crate that we are talking about (1 in the other). There are not 2000 watermelons in the crate because at least 1 watermelon must remain in the other crate.

-Big Chris

A ship that was carrying 2 crates with a total of 4000 watermelons
??

Also your assumption isn't guaranteed by the riddle thus can't be considered valid.

Archive: http://pastebin.com/LTEXJMgE
IGN: Rican soul15
The following users liked this post: M3an123

Offline Lars

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2015, 10:17:50 am »

-Big Chris

A ship that was carrying 2 crates with a total of 4000 watermelons
??

Also your assumption isn't guaranteed by the riddle thus can't be considered valid.
At first it said a total of 2000, this was a mistake so I later changed it to a total of 4000.

I never said that the watermelons were equally distributed between the 2 crates. There can be 3999 in one crate and 1 in the other.

Offline Big Chris

• Liked: 95 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2015, 10:59:26 am »
ofc, i was thinking to myself, it would be impossible with a maximum of 1999... so let me have another crack at it

Edit: my current answer is, 3,281 Watermelons in the crate
« Last Edit: May 12, 2015, 11:07:13 am by Big Chris »
Pages: 1 2