The world is currently online!

Welcome to Emps-World!

Register now to gain access to all of our forum features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies, send private messages, manage your profile, chat with other players in the shoutbox and much more. Once you sign in, this message will disappear.

Pages: 1

Offline Charr

• Liked: 3226 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Scan clues
« on: December 02, 2016, 01:49:24 pm »
Scan clues are the steps in clue scrolls where you have to search a certain area for a spot to dig in. These areas consist of cities, dungeons and even the wilderness. I decided to write a feedback topic on them specifically because I think they are by far the most frustrating part of clue scrolls.
  • Search locations
    Certain search locations are enormous, sometimes spanning multiples cities or even 30 wilderness levels. I understand that the scanning range on these is also increased, however that doesn't help very much. There is no clear indicator of how far the area you're supposed to scan expands outside of cities. This should be clarified better, and some scan ranges should be increased. In my opinion scans should not take place in the wilderness.
  • Progress
    From a design standpoint, I feel that with every step of a clue scroll you should know if you're making progress or not. This is clearly visible with puzzles, and will be with emote/npc clues once we put together a proper list for them, however it's completely absent from scan clues. There is absolutely nothing that will indicate if you're getting closer to your digging spot or not. It can lead players to wander around aimlessly for hours until they find their digging spot. It's comparable going through a long tunnel without a light at the end of it.
Suggested fixes:
  • Add a map of the search location showing what areas you've already scanned.
  • Add something similar to the hot/cold stone in osrs
  • Give the wildy clues a scan range that will almost immediately show the flashing arrow
;

Offline Wg Iron

• Liked: 19 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Scan clues
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2016, 05:02:34 pm »
Some of mine.

Offline Someone12116

• Liked: 3751 times
  • +0/-0
  • I drink and I know things
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 08:07:00 pm »
Boohoo there's a single type of step in clues that actually require some effort to complete.

Offline Drugs

• Liked: 3660 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2016, 12:19:27 pm »
City locations are easy as shit, 25-55/1-25 however...
The following users liked this post: 123456789xd, Someone12116, 3st Ranger X

Offline Reporter007

• Liked: 35 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2016, 02:17:06 pm »
I feel like this is making a little too big of a deal out of those. Yes, a few of the areas are quite large (25-55 wildy) but still i haven't had a problem finding the locations even without any map of the spots. In a few weeks there will be a complete map of the locations and they can be just checked one-by one making it even easier. The hot/cold mechanism sounds like a cool feature though, and i wouldn't mind seeing it implemented. On the other hand though it could make the scan clues too easy, so they shouldn't be too specific.
The following users liked this post: Someone12116

Offline Magecrune

• Liked: 425 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 04:45:40 pm »
Scan clues are only problematic in wilderness. The city ones etc are actually quite enjoyable.

Reporter007, the map wouldn't help, since there are way too many spots

Boohoo there's a single type of step in clues that actually require some effort to complete.
Even with methodical roaming, it's completely based on dumb luck. There's a fine line between effort and waste of time caused by the unefficient scan mechanic.
From a design standpoint, I feel that with every step of a clue scroll you should know if you're making progress or not.
Agreed!
The following users liked this post: Reporter007

Offline Reporter007

• Liked: 35 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2016, 04:48:56 pm »
Add the warmer/colder indicator.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 05:13:11 pm by Reporter007 »

Offline Someone12116

• Liked: 3751 times
  • +0/-0
  • I drink and I know things
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2016, 06:34:18 pm »
Even with methodical roaming, it's completely based on dumb luck. There's a fine line between effort and waste of time caused by the unefficient scan mechanic.

Because RNG is totally a new mechanic to the game. Welcome to f2p gaming my friend.
Pages: 1