The world is currently online!

Welcome to Emps-World!

Register now to gain access to all of our forum features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies, send private messages, manage your profile, chat with other players in the shoutbox and much more. Once you sign in, this message will disappear.

Pages: 1

Offline Avenus

• Liked: 471 times
  • +1/-0
    • View Profile
What do you think about owning a gun?
« on: March 23, 2015, 10:42:02 pm »
Ok so i read the local newspaper online and came across this video.

I have never tought off it this way. But that every citizen in USA is allowed to own a gun
(Idk if its some states only or all) is just insane.
Statistcly there will be less homicides and suicides without the citizen being
allowed to own a gun.

What do uou think?

Offline Fate

• Liked: 859 times
  • +0/-0
  • You're the author, not the protagonist.
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think about owning a gun?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 05:27:35 am »

In Canada, guns are for hunters, police officers, and soldiers.  Owning a gun for "protection" is not logical; thus I disagree with the sentiment.  If one were to have to get specific qualifications through extensive training and schooling in order to own a gun "for protection," it would make more sense.  The way it is right now, an 18 year-old (with no qualifications to bear arms of any sort) can walk into a gun shop and buy a shotgun, yet s/he has to wait until s/he's 21 years old before buying a beer.  #logic

I have a very limited experience with American friends who own guns.  All of them, except one, own guns for the sake of hunting, and the one who owns a gun for protection instead turned it on him/herself (unsuccessfully).  That conforms to the general statistics regarding the matter: You're more likely to use the gun on yourself than you are to use it on someone else.

Offline Avenus

• Liked: 471 times
  • +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 12:47:34 pm »

In Canada, guns are for hunters, police officers, and soldiers.  Owning a gun for "protection" is not logical; thus I disagree with the sentiment.  If one were to have to get specific qualifications through extensive training and schooling in order to own a gun "for protection," it would make more sense.  The way it is right now, an 18 year-old (with no qualifications to bear arms of any sort) can walk into a gun shop and buy a shotgun, yet s/he has to wait until s/he's 21 years old before buying a beer.  #logic

I have a very limited experience with American friends who own guns.  All of them, except one, own guns for the sake of hunting, and the one who owns a gun for protection instead turned it on him/herself (unsuccessfully).  That conforms to the general statistics regarding the matter: You're more likely to use the gun on yourself than you are to use it on someone else.

That's a quite good summary!
Can't believe you got to be 21 to buy beer hahaha.
Most countries in Europe have a 16-18 limit. When i then travelled to New York for the first time and got denied i nearly started to cry.
Luckily my dad bought and gave me <3

Offline Joshiee

• Liked: 701 times
  • +0/-0
  • Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2015, 02:37:37 pm »
Jum Jeffries speaks the truth right there!

Offline Bubblebeam2

• Liked: 860 times
  • +0/-0
  • Aaron
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 03:57:12 am »
I live in the USA. The people here are so incredibly paranoid about everything because of the events of 9/11.

Since people are afraid, they feel like if the police aren't able to protect the then tallest buildings in the world, how could they protect a common citizen like themselves?
People are compelled to buy a gun for “protection” out of fear.

The drinking age is 21 because drunk driving accidents happened over and over with teens as drivers. More people were dying from car accidents than gunshot wounds.

Thomy [21|Sep 03:14 pm]:   :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman:

Playing since 2008
Need help? Message me anytime!
Open bob and vegene plis

Offline Freestuffyay

• Liked: 1267 times
  • +0/-0
  • ಠ_ಠ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 01:58:38 pm »
It hurts more people then it protects so hell nope.

the darkest nights make the brightest stars

#7 200M Magic
#13 200M Strength

Offline Back At It

• Liked: 75 times
  • +0/-0
  • Time Zone: CST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 03:04:25 pm »
In the US you can buy a rifle at 18. You cannot buy a handgun until 21. When you own a handgun, you are not allowed to conceal it in any way unless you have taken a concealed carry class, in which case you can carry a handgun on you.

Personally, I own two rifles, a shotgun, and a handgun. One rifle (30-06) is used for deer hunting. The shotgun (12 gauge) is used for turkey and pheasant hunting. The other rifle (.22) and the handgun (9mm) are used for target shooting. I come from a family of hunters and military personnel so this is very common.

I personally agree with guns being legal. I mean, how would making guns illegal stop criminals from using them? I personally think this would cause more problems since nobody would be able to protect themselves.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 03:06:41 pm by Back At It »

Offline Back At It

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2015, 03:17:45 pm »
Just as an added note, I am very safe with all of my guns. They all have trigger locks and they're locked in a safe.

Offline Irfox

• Liked: 121 times
  • +0/-0
  • Play Metal Gear Rising Revengeance
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2015, 11:52:22 pm »
Not my opinion, but a very interesting thought nonetheless

===========

“The Gun Is Civilization” by Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret)

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force.

If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or force me to do your bidding under threat of force.

Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that’s it.

In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion.
Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction, and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some.

When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force.  You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.

The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100-pound woman on equal footing with a 220-pound mugger, a 75-year old retiree on equal footing with a 19-year old gang banger, and a single guy on equal footing with a carload of drunk guys with baseball bats. The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations.
These are the people who think that we’d be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for a armed mugger to do his job.
That, of course, is only true if the mugger’s potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat–it has no validity when most of a mugger’s potential marks are armed.

People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that’s the exact opposite of a civilized society. A mugger, even an armed one, can only make a successful living in a society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.

Then there’s the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would only result in injury.
This argument is fallacious in several ways. Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.

People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don’t constitute lethal force watch too much TV, where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip at worst.
The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of the weaker defender, not the stronger attacker. If both are armed, the field is level.

The gun is the only weapon that’s as lethal in the hands of an octogenarian as it is in the hands of a weight lifter.
It simply wouldn’t work as well as a force equalizer if it wasn’t both lethal and easily employable.

When I carry a gun, I don’t do so because I am looking for a fight, but because I’m looking to be left alone. The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded. I don’t carry it because I’m afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn’t limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force.

It removes force from the equation… and that’s why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

By Maj. L. Caudill USMC (Ret.)

So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced.

===========

Offline Hayden

• Liked: 19 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2015, 02:14:23 am »
I personally agree with guns being legal. I mean, how would making guns illegal stop criminals from using them? I personally think this would cause more problems since nobody would be able to protect themselves.
You are completely correct, in Australia we aren't allowed to own guns yet there are criminals that have guns and use them as forceful objects to get what they want....

I have always liked guns myself, but they shouldn't be allowed to be sold to people under the age of 21 (any type of gun) I also think that people should have background searches done on them and intense training with the gun so they know how and when to use the gun.

Guns are also not for protection they are used by some people as an ego booster and to show off, like any other male would say look at my "gun" it's bigger then your "gun". <----- change it so it works.

Offline Back At It

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 07:55:51 pm »
You are completely correct, in Australia we aren't allowed to own guns yet there are criminals that have guns and use them as forceful objects to get what they want....

I have always liked guns myself, but they shouldn't be allowed to be sold to people under the age of 21 (any type of gun) I also think that people should have background searches done on them and intense training with the gun so they know how and when to use the gun.

Guns are also not for protection they are used by some people as an ego booster and to show off, like any other male would say look at my "gun" it's bigger then your "gun". <----- change it so it works.

A couple of things to note here that I didn't state previously:

1. In the US, when buying a gun from any store there is a thorough background check done. They verify that your address is the same address that the government has on file for you.
2. In order to purchase a handgun at age 21, you must first apply for, and receive a pistol purchase permit.
3. In order to legally use a rifle, you must have gone through a hunters safety course which teaches you how to properly and safely handle the gun.
4. I believe the logic behind being able to purchase a rifle at age 18 is because you can join the army at 18. If you have no prior experience with firearms you'll be at a severe disadvantage.
Pages: 1