The world is currently online!

Welcome to Emps-World!

Register now to gain access to all of our forum features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies, send private messages, manage your profile, chat with other players in the shoutbox and much more. Once you sign in, this message will disappear.

Pages: 1

Offline Tgod Bro

• Liked: 304 times
  • +0/-0
  • Het echt varkentje
    • View Profile
USA, AMERICA
« on: February 08, 2015, 07:13:43 am »
Why does EVERYBODY name the United States as America?

I personally think that America is the name of the WHOLE continent, United States of America means that the United States belongs to America and NOT that America belongs to the United States.

I'm from south America (Argentina) and it makes me really angry ._.

Tell me what you guys think about this

I will not let anyone walk through my mind with their dirty feet.

Offline 1egend

• Liked: 53 times
  • +1/-0
  • Complete! Now I can sleep.
    • View Profile
Re: USA, AMERICA
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 07:40:14 am »
North America is the continent, so U.S.A is an abbreviation that the united states lies within america   ;D, also I think people just get lazy and call it America but hey its up to the person
Clear eyes, Full heart, Can't lose

Support this weeks SOTW!!

Irl name- Dallas / Sallad / Dally

Offline Tgod Bro

• +0/-0
  • Het echt varkentje
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 07:50:12 am »
North America is the continent, so U.S.A is an abbreviation that the united states lies within america   ;D, also I think people just get lazy and call it America but hey its up to the person

What ? ? ? ?

Offline Chris

• Liked: 158 times
  • +0/-0
  • Supreme Leader of the First Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 07:58:03 am »
Actually, "America" isn't a Continent. "The Americas" is consisted of 3 separate continents, North, Central, and South America. However, everyone just calls it "America" to refer to all three continents.

Technically speaking, the United States of America should actually be named "The United States of North America" or "USNA", since the United States is a part of North America, along with Canada, Greenland, and Mexico.

Central America would consist of Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Panama.

South America consists of Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, and Venezuela.

The reason that most people refer to The United States as "America" is simply because The United States made itself known to the world more than the other countries did. Think of it this way... You have a Team of 10 Moderators. The whole Moderator Team represents a Continent, however, each Moderator represents a different Country in that Continent. Out of the 10 Moderators, one of them stands out the most, and makes a bigger impact than the rest. That Moderator then receives a Promotion, and becomes an Administrator. So now, that Administrator will forever go down in history, whether it be a good history, or a bad one. <- That's the best way I can relate the USA to RSPS terms.

Most schools around the world teach the History of their Country, and then when they finish that, they usually teach World History, and/or the History of the United States. The reason why is because The United States is probably one of, if not the most iconic Country in History, and no, I'm not just saying that because I'm from the United States. The United States is, I believe, the youngest recognizable Country in the world, as the United States has only been an established country for just under 239 years, yet, over those 239 years, we've successfully grown the Strongest Army in the World, and have grown to have the #1 Economy in the world (Up until China Recently surpassed us), and we have been the determining factor in most major wars, most specifically, World Wars 1 and 2.

However, I can understand where you're coming from. It's like the same thing when people refer to The Middle East. The first country or countries they think of is Iraq and/or Afghanistan, or they refer to Afghanistan as the Middle East.

I'm Xxskinney13x
The following users liked this post: Tgod Bro

Offline 1egend

• Liked: 53 times
  • +1/-0
  • Complete! Now I can sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 08:34:40 am »

What ? ? ? ?

I meant America haha, both south and north america are combined to form 1 continent.. they just refer to the united states as america well because its in america
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 08:36:31 am by 1egend »
Clear eyes, Full heart, Can't lose

Support this weeks SOTW!!

Irl name- Dallas / Sallad / Dally

Offline Bubblebeam2

• Liked: 860 times
  • +0/-0
  • Aaron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 09:54:38 am »
Lost me at “Actually” Chris.
That settles this debate :kappa:

Thomy [21|Sep 03:14 pm]:   :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman: :batman:

Playing since 2008
Need help? Message me anytime!
Open bob and vegene plis

Offline Chazz

• Liked: 586 times
  • +0/-0
  • f
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 09:07:20 pm »
It's like the same thing when people refer to The Middle East. The first country or countries they think of is Iraq and/or Afghanistan, or they refer to Afghanistan as the Middle East.

Which imbecile gave you that impression? I highly encourage staying away from people who have so little knowledge of the most basic forms of Geography. Referring to AFGHANISTAN by calling it, and only it, MIDDLE EAST has to be the most obtuse statement I have heard this year.

As for the debate, The name of the nation who dominates the region is The Unites States of America. Sometimes, it is referred to as USA or America(with no s) for short.

The Americas: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americas are a separate matter.

Archive: http://pastebin.com/LTEXJMgE
IGN: Rican soul15

Offline Magmaster127

• Liked: 70 times
  • +0/-0
  • Zelda for Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 10:12:21 pm »
Actually, "America" isn't a Continent. "The Americas" is consisted of 3 separate continents, North, Central, and South America. However, everyone just calls it "America" to refer to all three continents.

Central America is not a continent. There are only 7 continents; North America, South America, Africa, Asia, Antarctica, Australia, and Europe.
Emps-Scape Player Since 2009
The following users liked this post: Chazz

Offline Joshiee

• Liked: 701 times
  • +0/-0
  • Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 01:30:06 am »
Some people say they live in Africa, when in fact, they live in Zimbabwe or Nigeria.

Offline Chazz

• Liked: 586 times
  • +0/-0
  • f
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2015, 01:43:19 am »
Some people say they live in Africa, when in fact, they live in Zimbabwe or Nigeria.
But when they say they live in America, they mean The USA, not any of the other countries. These two cases cannot be considered analogous.

Archive: http://pastebin.com/LTEXJMgE
IGN: Rican soul15

Offline Tgod Bro

• +0/-0
  • Het echt varkentje
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2015, 02:43:17 am »
But when they say they live in America, they mean The USA, not any of the other countries. These two cases cannot be considered analogous.
True, i can't say that i live in America cuz everybody would think i live in the United States

Offline Rayray

• Liked: 20 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2015, 02:36:21 pm »
'Muricuh is USA, America is the Americas
Pages: 1