The world is currently online!

Welcome to Emps-World!

Register now to gain access to all of our forum features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies, send private messages, manage your profile, chat with other players in the shoutbox and much more. Once you sign in, this message will disappear.

Pages: 1

Offline Kappaross

• Liked: 2 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Flax/bow strings
« on: March 23, 2017, 12:52:58 pm »
Greetings.
So, I've done some fletching on my fresh ironman, and things have been going fine so far. Well, until I decided to do some flax picking to string my bows that is.

Picking flax is slow. Around 1000 an hour. This is exactly the same rate they have OSRS. I feel like picking flax should either be made faster or there should be a mid level monster which drops flax/bow strings. So far the only ones which do drop bow strings are Kree'Arra and Spectral cultivator. Neither of them are accessible for me at the moment, and the amount they drop is quite small in the grand scheme of things.

Another suggestion I would like to propose, if this is something the staff doesn't want to do, is to equal out the experience between fletching a bow and stringing it. At the moment stringing gives around 3x more exp than fletching does (~250 vs ~750 for maple long). I feel like this would be an adequate alternative.

Thank you for reading my proposal. All and any feedback is welcome.

Offline Magecrune

• Liked: 425 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Flax/bow strings
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 01:10:30 pm »
if this is something the staff doesn't want to do
Staff team doesn't equal developers. We're just here to enforce rules.

As far as the suggestion is concerned, the xp rates are fine and shouldn't be changed.
If a person is willing to invest more time and/or money (more compared to just logs) to get bow strings/make bows, they're rewarded with more xp. Easy as that.

Picking flax could be made faster, I do agree with this. I wouldn't mind another medium-high level monster dropping noted strings or flax either.

Offline Il Skill L

• Liked: 1275 times
  • +0/-0
  • ༼つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Tyvm Karel for great avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 01:31:31 pm »
At the moment stringing gives around 3x more exp than fletching does (~250 vs ~750 for maple long).
Why would you even want to string your bows if the exp rates are so off? Isn't it quicker to just fletch unfinished bows till 99?

King125: minimum wage in estonia 2.5€ wtf
King125: 25€ for 10h work day :D :D :D
King125: i could make more sucking emps scape dick

Offline Kappaross

• Liked: 2 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 01:40:40 pm »
Why would you even want to string your bows if the exp rates are so off? Isn't it quicker to just fletch unfinished bows till 99?

At the moment if you have to pick the flax yourself and turn them into bow strings, yes, just fletching without stringing is faster. But if you just buy bow strings as a non-ironman, then stringing is faster.

As far as the suggestion is concerned, the xp rates are fine and shouldn't be changed.
If a person is willing to invest more time and/or money (more compared to just logs) to get bow strings/make bows, they're rewarded with more xp. Easy as that.

Yeah, you do get more exp, but the xp/hour is lower when stringing the bows if you have to pick the flax by yourself. (assuming the whole bow is made from scratch).
The following users liked this post: Il Skill L

Offline Charr

• Liked: 3226 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2017, 03:21:53 pm »
Greetings.
So, I've done some fletching on my fresh ironman, and things have been going fine so far. Well, until I decided to do some flax picking to string my bows that is.

Picking flax is slow. Around 1000 an hour. This is exactly the same rate they have OSRS. I feel like picking flax should either be made faster or there should be a mid level monster which drops flax/bow strings. So far the only ones which do drop bow strings are Kree'Arra and Spectral cultivator. Neither of them are accessible for me at the moment, and the amount they drop is quite small in the grand scheme of things.
Given that picking flax and spinning it into strings is a decent moneymaking method for people that don't have all that much, I wouldn't like to see that destroyed. I'm not completely opposed to having something drop it, but it shouldn't completely outclass picking it. It should be an alternative method, but a slower one.

Picking flax is really not that bad, picking it up is fast, spinning it is fast, banking is really the only hassle. I don't think making it faster is a good idea. I would much rather see cutting logs into (u) bows be made slightly faster, that's the slower part of fletching. It wouldn't do much harm to anything and it would save people time.

Equal out the experience between fletching a bow and stringing it. At the moment stringing gives around 3x more exp than fletching does (~250 vs ~750 for maple long). I feel like this would be an adequate alternative.
This would quite effectively make bowstrings less useful. Ironmen would be better off just making (u) bows and never touching strings, as it would be way more efficient because it skips out on flax completely. Non-ironmen would be better off not buying strings and spending that money on logs, they're generally cheaper and would give the same exp.

These kinds of things are inherently part of ironman mode, I don't think making them easier will be all that beneficial for it.
;

Offline Magecrune

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2017, 03:22:34 pm »
Actually you're wrong.

If you cut, make the unf magic longbows and drop them, you get about 635.5k xp per hour. You get no profit from this.
If you cut, bank the logs and make them to unf longbows all at once, you get about 483.1k xp per hour. You also get about 670k for selling the unf bows.
If you cut, bank the logs, make them to unf longbows all at once, gather flax, turn it into bowstrings and make finished magic longbows, you get about 840.1k xp per hour. You also get about 570k for selling the bows and about 9500 crafting xp.

Considering how much different steps there are to creating complete bows and that the finished products always gives more xp, I think the rates are fair.
Also this encourages flax picking and bowstring making/gathering, since they're demanded supplies. It creates a moneymaking method without requirements.
Since non-ironmen can save a lot of time by just buying the materials, it will stay relevant.

Also, I'll remind you that the game isn't balanced around ironmen.

E: Member bonus was included in these xp numbers, but even without it the ratios are the same.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 03:38:38 pm by Magecrune »
The following users liked this post: Skill0wzer, Charr, S Clegane

Offline Someone12116

• Liked: 3751 times
  • +0/-0
  • I drink and I know things
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2017, 09:33:06 pm »
If you cut, bank the logs, make them to unf longbows all at once, gather flax, turn it into bowstrings and make finished magic longbows, you get about 840.1k xp per hour. You also get about 570k for selling the bows and about 9500 crafting xp.

I want to see actual uncut footage of this.
The following users liked this post: Skill0wzer

Offline Skill0wzer

• Liked: 68 times
  • +0/-0
  • We'll live to fight another day!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2017, 08:34:40 am »
Greetings.

Another suggestion I would like to propose, if this is something the staff doesn't want to do, is to equal out the experience between fletching a bow and stringing it. At the moment stringing gives around 3x more exp than fletching does (~250 vs ~750 for maple long). I feel like this would be an adequate alternative.

Thank you for reading my proposal. All and any feedback is welcome.

Crafting and Fletching experience rates are currently fine in my opinion. Getting flax and making them into strings is also easy and fast and you can get still some amount of experience for crafting if you want to increase it use family gauntlets which you can buy from Rimmington and they boost crafting 5%. On the other thought, I agree with Charr that fletching bows should be made a little bit faster as it's currently very slow.
Beloved member since 2009
King of Empsland

Offline Pk Range99

• Liked: 209 times
  • +0/-0
  • ye
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2017, 01:42:42 pm »
If you have the bow (u) you can get up to 9-10m xp/h with stringing them,  I don't think this needs any improvement

1. Player moderator 18/04/2017
2. Game moderator ?? ??
3. Profit 25/08/2017

Offline Magecrune

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 02:00:16 pm »
I want to see actual uncut footage of this.
I timed each action and calculated the maximum xp you can get in 1h. This is the theoretical maximum based on my timings and it works under the assumption that your efficiency doesn't drop even once in that 1h margin.
To be fair, I should've written "you can get up to X xp" instead of the current format.

If you have the bow (u) you can get up to 9-10m xp/h with stringing them,  I don't think this needs any improvement
A bit over 6m actually, assuming you're member and not using double xp (up to 12m with double).
Pages: 1