The world is currently online!

Welcome to Emps-World!

Register now to gain access to all of our forum features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies, send private messages, manage your profile, chat with other players in the shoutbox and much more. Once you sign in, this message will disappear.

Pages: 1

Offline Thomy

• Liked: 3322 times
  • +5/-0
    • View Profile
Hey guys,

Get your gaming PCs ready, I've added a HD water simulation! Just kidding, the water code runs fast on slow GPUs as well.

HD Water #2
I've overhauled the way water planes are calculated. This block will be a little technical, if you're not interested in it... just have a look at the screenshot below! I've created a water shader that combines the water texture with a ripple and reflection texture. This results in a dithered reflection of the game world in water planes. Moreover, there's also always only 1 water reflection. Meaning that if you're standing next to a pond and the sea, only 1 of the water areas is used for the reflection calculation. You shouldn't really feel that, because I'm smartly switching between water reflection planes depending on where you're closest to. In my next graphical improvements I plan to implement a sun along with a proper skybox and different light sources. This will allow me to give water reflections even more beauty by reflecting the skybox and sun.

I've developped the entire code on my laptop and tested it on an Intel HD chip (weak GPU) as well as on an NVIDIA GT 940M. Low quality reflections were no problem for the Intel HD chip and the NVIDIA ran both, low and high quality reflections without any issues. Nonetheless, reflections are disabled by default on slower GPUs, which are in laptops mostly. You can increase the water quality (and the quality of reflections) by increasing the Water Quality setting. It works the same way as the Shadow Quality setting.

Here's what the new water looks like:

Camera Usability
I've updated the way the in-game camera works. Moving towards a direction (x/y) now cancels out the opposite direction: You don't need to pause when rotating the camera from left to right or vice versa. You're now also able to move the camera's y angle further down. There is now a check for the camera to clip the terrain, so you can no longer view anything that is below the surface. Prior to the update it was impossible to stand on a hill or mountain and look up to your character.

Game changes:
  • Some issues with the following code have been fixed. There was a problem when using auto retaliate that would give you additional attacking distance when using ranged or magic. Another issue was fixed when attacking players with melee weapons having a greater attacking distance than 1.
  • The attack sound for spears has been fixed. Some attack styles had an incorrect one.
  • A bug was fixed where the death of bosses was carrying on their current actions. This was happening when Nex died during her flight animation, carrying the damage calculations to her respawn.
  • Operating items (games necklace, ferocious ring, amulet of glory, etc.) is now no longer possible while another action is done: agility, alching, etc.
  • A bug with instances was fixed where bosses would no longer respawn. This was related to the boss healing during death animation and the game not properly detecting the npc as dead since its hitpoints wasn't 0.
  • Auras now correctly cost 20EP.
  • The level requirements for Agility's daily tasks have been increased:
    • Wildy: level 80+
    • Brimhaven: 45+
    • Advanced barbarian: 75+
  • Weapon configurations for meat tenderizer have been fixed.
  • Slayer task messages including plural monster names have been corrected.
  • Glacors no longer randomly spawn their minions. There was a bug that they were respawned when Glacors were dead.
  • Having a spear equipped no longer bugs following NPCs and players.

Engine changes:
  • Disabling ground decoration no longer removes walls at the Karamja agility course.
  • Water and lava calculations overhauled.
  • The dart attack animation is no longer blocking movement.
  • A few performance issues with rendering the minimap have been identified and fixed. You should find your game running smoother now.

I'll now start working on our 3rd demon boss dropping new tier 85 melee weapons. It will again be a 4-man group boss challenge. After this boss I'm open for suggestions. I have the Summoning skill in mind, a more difficult firecape minigame (new cape!), a long quest or achievement diaries. I'll probably put a poll online to see which update gains most interest! You can already let me know in a comment below what you'd prefer though. :D

All the best,
Thomy
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 12:51:51 pm by Thomy »

Offline Iron Thunder

• Liked: 1 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Good job thomy
The following users liked this post: Thomy

Offline Jhonson

• Liked: 354 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
After this boss I'm open for suggestions. I have the Summoning skill in mind, a more difficult firecape minigame (new cape!), a long quest or achievement diaries.

All the best,
Thomy

I would love for all of it to be implemented but if i were to choose, I would say summoning :)

Looking at the water reflections as we speak, looks absolutely gorgeous! Well done, Thomy.

Offline Ameer

• Liked: 630 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Cool update

I'll now start working on our 3rd demon boss dropping new tier 85 melee weapons. It will again be a 4-man group boss challenge

Uhmm, finally!

Emps-World Player Moderator Since July 18, 2015
Emps-World Game Moderator Since September 22, 2015
Emps-World Player Administrator Since  October 29, 2015
Emps-World Game Administrator since few years

Emps world player since the day I resigned, dunno when.

Offline Avenus

• Liked: 471 times
  • +1/-0
    • View Profile
Didnt read anything, saw the water reflection picture. Havent checked it ingame, probably wont either with the first.

But holy f. That actually looks really sick. Good stuff man!

Offline Iron Corne

• Liked: 290 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Not sure how i should feel about summoning. Aside from great updates once again
#exkneesocks

Offline Ravioli

• Liked: 285 times
  • +0/-0
  • :)
    • View Profile
Love the instance fix and the balanced daily tasks!

Offline For Freedom

• Liked: 78 times
  • +0/-0
  • Cheese will never be free, only in trap for rats.
    • View Profile
Good job done there!

Offline Iron 69

• Liked: 181 times
  • +0/-0
  • :3
    • View Profile
Love the instance fix and the balanced daily tasks!
np for finding the issue about instances bugging out. :kappa:

Nonetheless, beast update. As for the future content, i'd much like to see diaries, and probably a new fire cape( that could possibly be attached to a max cape as well? )
"Ayyy lmao" - thats what I said :kappa:
The following users liked this post: Thomy, Namnori, Iron Corne, Ravioli

Offline Jp

• Liked: 1764 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Thanks for the updates. :)
Regarding the future content my personal opinion would be to release either achievement diaries or Fight Kiln, assuming you're talking about that. Or why not both later down the year.

Achievement diaries could be categorized simply like combat, skilling, misc., bosses etc... instead of having easy, medium, hard tasks for everything.
One suggestion for Fight Kiln would be to have re-colored capes of Tokhaar-Kal because on Emps revision only the melee variant exists. There's mage and range variant now days as well and re-coloring the melee cape would be a simple solution for that :P
The following users liked this post: Thomy, Namnori

Offline Iron Corne

• Liked: 290 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
actually came up with something i'd like to see come in the future. would love to see a new ironman mode (UIM or Hardcore). most fun i ever had on emps was probably the start of ironmanmode when everyone was at the same stage.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 03:47:48 pm by Iron Corne »
#exkneesocks
The following users liked this post: Namnori

Offline Jp

• Liked: 1764 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
actually keep up with something i'd like to see come in the future. would love to see a new ironman mode (UIM or Hardcore). most fun i ever had on emps was probably the start of ironmanmode when everyone was at the same stage.
Ultimate ironman mode is just no fun mode tbh. Hardcore ironman mode is something interesting on the other hand. When you die you'd lose the hardcore status and you would be a regular ironman then.
Would have to disable GA tickets for hardcore ironman mode but maybe do something like you can buy an extra life with a high amount of gp (100m?) Only once though.
The following users liked this post: Namnori
Pages: 1