The world is currently online!

Welcome to Emps-World!

Register now to gain access to all of our forum features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies, send private messages, manage your profile, chat with other players in the shoutbox and much more. Once you sign in, this message will disappear.

Pages: 1 2

Offline Someone12116

• Liked: 3751 times
  • +0/-0
  • I drink and I know things
    • View Profile
Re: it's time to make a change!
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2018, 03:25:50 pm »
Guys this post isn't about what made the game die in the first place, it's about how it can be revived. I would like to hear thomy's opinion on the matter.
Btw why not make a voting poll like how jagex did with osrs

Thinking about what made the game die is pretty damn relevant information. If people left the game because they grew older or moved into completely different games, you simply cannot make those people kids again or make those other games not exists anymore.
@Someone12116, I respect you and all but to simply throw out your opinions and assumption here and act like you know what will be the outcome is just ridiculous. People here are suggesting something that could revive Emps and who knows it might just work out; which is better than sitting in the current situation and just bla about how things will not work out and that people grow old. You don't know that old people can still play games too? Yes I'm old, I married to a beautiful wife and have a son. Named him "Thomy" after our developer and here i am still playing emps and other triple A games. I have had seem enough topics and players wanting OS back, yet I always see the same respond/reply to them which really kept them away from playing for more than a week. If we continue this way, it will Not be long until our player base is half of what's now.

The reason RS died before osrs released was because of EoC. The whole combat system of the game changed. Pre-EoC RS was still more popular than osrs is today. The changes in Emps havent been nearly as huge as EoC was, and thus reverting Emps World into Scape would just cut down the content in less than a half.

Thats the "small" difference here. In addition to that people would lose all their progress, and the hardest content in the game would be fucking Wyvern boss in the ice cave l0l.
The following users liked this post: S Clegane

Offline Thomy

• Liked: 3326 times
  • +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2018, 04:06:55 pm »
Hey everyone! :) Thanks for so many different responses and opinions on the matter. Usually I stay out of such discussions, because there is probably nothing I can say in such situations that is appreciated. It's a lose-lose situation for me anyway. However I will try to give my point of view as good as I can.

Hawkins, I appreciate your effort in writing this topic. I would like to start with pointing out the metric that we use to identify how many players visit the game on a daily base. Max player count was mentioned, but imho that doesn't tell a lot about the community and game since it's the target or pretty big fluctuations. I use the metric of unique visitors over the past 24 hours, which tells us a lot more about how many people visit the site daily. That's between 250 and 300 unique computers and over 400 accounts a day. This is less than what it was 5 years ago, but it's a large, active and big community! I also always compare emps to other large servers, which roughly have 400-500 players online during peak times. Back in the days emps was also about 1/10 of the largest RSPS out there. So honestly speaking the relative activity hasn't changed one bit. I'm not saying it's great, but definitely not something to worry about or be upset. I am constantly working on updates and advertisement strategies to attract new players. Though let me tell you... it is REALLY REALLY difficult! It's so much harder to attract new players than back in the good old RuneScape days with hundreds of thousands of potential players.

Now let's talk about oldschool, since that seems to be the magical solution to everything. I need to put some sarcasm out here, because I honestly feel this isn't going to change a single bit. Possibly a temporary increase in activity, because everybody is starting from scratch. I have considered this a few times and also thought of the effort required in offering an oldschool version. However, I honestly feel like this is not a solution to a problem that isn't even a problem from the beginning. We do have less activity than on release date and over the past 1-2 years it has pretty much been constant. I have started to work more on advertisement campaigns earlier this year to bring an improvement that way. Let's just say it's still difficult and constantly being worked on. I would also like to bring a very important point that just because more people played oldschool emps doesn't mean they will in the future. There is a very famous quote that says correlation does not imply causation. Applied to our player base it basically means just because people used to play the game and we had oldschool doesn't necessarily mean people will now play oldschool! A really good read: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Correlation_does_not_imply_causation (yes wikipedia... but they explain the quote)

I also don't want to but feel like it is necessary to respond to Eddie aka Junkz. We've had our disagreements over the past and also made it very clear we have a totally different view on things. I feel like what you are doing here is pretty unfair and I will also be putting a stop on it from now on. Censorship? Oh no, the site you are on decides what you are allowed to post on it. I hope you don't mind me not using an exquisite color code to get my statement clear. I really like your initial statement that no roasting is intended but your whole reply basically goes on doing so. Your entire reply is a rant about the game. I mean fine, it's your opinion and also nobody is going to take that away from you. However this is very far away from constructive criticism. In fact I find it very childish and also silly to keep attacking every single update that doesn't exactly represent your expectation. Heck why should anyone ever listen to you or develop something for you? There will never be any appreciation no matter what. And you made that very clear over the past years. I also don't deem it necessary but let me just say that your entire reply here is just nonsense. Based on your opinion and hatred for the game serving nothing but frustration and anger in the community. Using the player count to even bash more on updates rather than stepping back for a moment and considering what other facts could make a community smaller over a course of 5 to 10 years. Hint hint, people are sometimes finished with a game and grow up.

It's also a great idea to link to our development board here: https://trello.com/b/QGPVa5en/emps-world It's my personal flip chart where I keep track of upcoming changes and also create tickets for future updates. Basically my plan for the next update cycle. It doesn't contain everything and also is no promise, but you can have an insight on some of my personal notes. :) There's also Discord where you can easily ask us about game related things, chat or talk about updates and ideas: https://discordapp.com/invite/xUvVGkk

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 04:10:14 pm by Thomy »
The following users liked this post: Drugs, Namnori, Iron 69, Loop

Offline Ameer

• Liked: 631 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2018, 05:01:31 pm »
///

I believe at some point you should reconsider gathering your data from another source.
having people that login 5 mins per day still counts as an extra number in your data, however it doesn't mean anything other than that.
I don't feel like complaining about many things around here that I believe I witnessed my self that lead to the situation we are in now
I just want to point out that these same words that you just wrote, are just a copy of your last reply on such topic in early 2018, 2017, 2016 when the decrease started to show up.
I resigned back in 2016 when our numbers dropped for the first time under 150 as its not worth it anymore, day after day the server proving me that i did the right thing back then.

You're comparing Emps world which has 60 players per day with some other random servers that has around 400 players online at peak time which I find something really wrong and bad to do.
if you're saying that we're having around 300 unique UUIDs per day, we believe that however comparing these numbers with a visual number in different server is wrong, I am sure they should have around 1000 if not more unique UUIDs per day
which leave us in a huge gap with them again.

anyway I have nothing to say about this suggestion to be honest
I am afraid that it will fail the same way you're and Ott is.
so I can't blame you for not taking an action about it, yet.
however I can blame you for acting like everything is normal when your community is failing apart, just take a look at our " 300 " players and how active they are at forums,
it could lead us to the end just faster than we are already moving towards.
however it might has a chance of us surviving again and brings back the great old days
we were unique before, hopefully we will be soon.

I have nothing against you other than a lot of respect,
Have a nice day.

Emps-World Player Moderator Since July 18, 2015
Emps-World Game Moderator Since September 22, 2015
Emps-World Player Administrator Since  October 29, 2015
Emps-World Game Administrator since few years

Emps world player since the day I resigned, dunno when.

Offline Thomy

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2018, 05:36:59 pm »

The only valid source for gathering emps statistics... is our site and people who visit us. There is no other way to gather such statistics. Everyone logging in counts and that's also perfectly fine since it's a human interaction with the game. That should definitely be in the statistics, because it's happening on a daily base! I am also not comparing unique visitors with max player counts on other servers!! I'm comparing our max players to other server's max players since that's the only comparison that can be made.

I don't wish to discuss this any further, because it's only going to end up in fights and arguments. Hence why I also didn't want to respond to this topic at all. My bad for starting it I guess. I do understand your frustration and I am the only one you can or will blame for whatever reason emps doesn't appeal that much to you anymore. I will continue to create a game that people can play and enjoy. As long as people have fun playing I will continue doing it. However what I am trying to avoid is such topics getting a shit storm and hatred against the game out of frustration. It leads nowhere. I suppose I will also never understand the argument that people won't play or like the game unless there are X players online? If that's everyone's attitude there's logically speaking no way of older players ever really coming back. Also... if that's such a big deal the entire player count can just be removed entirely since it's no good obviously.

If you have constructive feedback and suggestions to bring an improvement, feel free to let me know! I'm always open to work on new things that make the game fun to play and attract new players. :)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 05:45:35 pm by Thomy »

Offline Il Rn I

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2018, 08:34:50 am »
Thomy, Can you notice the fact that RS3 has less players than OSRS ? , Can you see that huge amount of players disagree with your opinion regarding to new version of Emps? last but not least , can you see that emps is losing fans day after day ?.

Shouldn't you do something different ? you are still convinced that updating the server is the best way to survive ems life. you have been busy all the time improving the server and adding epic features in order to compete with other RS developers and to look like a professional developer, and unfortunately this did not help at all.

Rather than admitting with all those facts , you're keep claiming that emps has a lot of logins and activities which we have no visibility into.
I do not care if we have large amount of activity and daily logins as you're claiming but we haven't reached 200 players online yet.

What about being little bit more active at Rune-Server? , You are very popular at RSPS communities such as mopar or rune server. I think being active there could help out to attract players to you and your's server.
i do remember that thomy-13 was so attractive and very lovable person.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 08:55:57 am by Il Rn I »

Offline Thomy

• +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2018, 09:55:02 am »
I've tried to explain and invalidate that whole argument in previous replies. I don't think we're getting anywhere with this topic and thus I will close it. Thanks everyone for your opinions! :)
The following users liked this post: Angila Joli
Pages: 1 2