The world is currently online!

Welcome to Emps-World!

Register now to gain access to all of our forum features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies, send private messages, manage your profile, chat with other players in the shoutbox and much more. Once you sign in, this message will disappear.

Pages: 1

Offline Someone12116

• Liked: 3751 times
  • +0/-0
  • I drink and I know things
    • View Profile
GE
« on: January 21, 2016, 08:03:15 pm »

Ye. I honestly think it's not working as it should, so let me explain what's wrong with it.

When I put something for sale at a ridiculously low price, like the 1 GP shown on the picture, and if there are numerous buy offers for the same item, I should always get money equivalent to the highest BUY offer. So for example, if there were buy offers at 100k, 200k, 300k, 500k and 1M, I should get 1M cash instead of that 1 GP I put it for sale at.

Currently, if the price I set my item for sale at is less than whatever any of the BUY offers are, I will only get the GP equivalent to the offer I did. I have absolutely no idea what may possibly happen at the other end of the trade, maybe they get the item + all the cash back minus the one GP.

This should also apply vice versa, as it probably does, since I get money back from buying an item with a really high price. When BUYING an item, the system should always make the player get the item with the CHEAPEST price.

More examples:

This prevents selling items quickly for a reasonable price. You HAVE to manually try to find a good price by setting an item for sale at high price, aborting it and lowering it a bit by bit.

In RS, if I wanted to get rid of something fast, I can put an item for sale at 1 GP with absolutely no worries since I know I will always get the highest price possible that any player has offered for the said item.

So, the basic 4 rules of GE:
  • When selling an item while there are existing buy offers for it, it will be sold for the highest available offer at the time (IF sale price < buy offer)
  • When buying an item while there are existing sales, it will be bought for the cheapest price available at the time (IF buy offer > sale price)
  • IF sale price > any of the available buy offers (=the items doesn't sell instantly), it will become a sale and the item can only be sold when it becomes the cheapest sale in GE
  • IF buy offer < sale price (=the items doesn't buy instantly), it will become a buy offer and the item can only be bought when it becomes the highest offer in GE

My grammar probably sucks der cuz I found explaining this surprisingly hard but I hope yall get muh point. Currently the base prices can be manipulated down to oblivion with no effort whatsoever
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 08:05:47 pm by Someone12116 »
The following users liked this post: C4 Nerd, Tgod Bro, Il Skil1z Il, 66destroyer3, Lolys2, Sir Rambo, Ironman Tim

Offline Il Skil1z Il

• Liked: 168 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: GE
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016, 08:13:27 pm »
With no arguments, totally agree

Offline Someone12116

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 08:18:02 pm »
I have absolutely no idea what may possibly happen at the other end of the trade, maybe they get the item + all the cash back minus the one GP.

Just confirming this to be true
https://i.gyazo.com/43bf9d9c18ed79b9582487d386c559a6.jpg

Offline Zudikas95187

• Liked: 276 times
  • +0/-0
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 08:54:52 pm »
agree 100%, and the way GE works at the time in general is kinda sloppy :p, no offense to the developer of course.

Offline Lolys2

• Liked: 23 times
  • +0/-0
  • Mining stars since september 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 09:53:30 pm »
I totally agree with you, man!

Mining stars since september 2014.

Online Thomy

• Liked: 3328 times
  • +5/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 03:47:42 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I see the frustration over the current GE system but it was made to ensure that price manipulations are not possible. I was thinking of adding the GE, like it is right now, for quite a while and decided it would be the best solution that the sold price is the price the item will always go for. I'll try to explain why.

In a scenario where you sell an item for 1gp, it 'should' return the buyer who offers most for it? I mean, that'd be the preferred way for the seller, to get the highest possible value out of it. Though, we end up in exactly the same problem we currently have, just the other way around. If you buy an item for a way too high price, you'd definitely pay that price. So the same problem but on the buyer's end this time. The only solution for this problem that I could come up with, was to find an acceptable price for both parties. So let's say you sell your robin boots for 1gp and I buy them for 200m. What price should be chosen? When I put restrictions to the buy and sell margins, I effectively create a method to control the market. What should happen in that case, should the transaction return the estimated value of the item? That'd mean that people would have difficulties selling an item above the estimated values.

You see in theory it sounds really easy to say you should get the best possible offer, no matter if you buy and sell an item. Though, to get this simple sentence running in a program... not so easy. I couldn't find a solution to this problem, so I've chosen a method that definitely works. Always returning the price of the buyer would be the next alternative, but I thought that's it always fair to get the price of an item that you wish to sell. You choose what you sell it for, the system ensures you get the price. That's also the way auction houses handle transactions, with the difference of not being able to see all offers.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 03:49:56 pm by Thomy »
The following users liked this post: Tgod Bro

Offline Lolys2

• Liked: 23 times
  • +0/-0
  • Mining stars since september 2014
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 05:50:20 pm »

So let's say you sell your robin boots for 1gp and I buy them for 200m. What price should be chosen?

But the buyer can always choose the highest price by putting in the money. For example if you want to buy those robin boots, you can put in 400k, so that price is the maximum what you will pay. You can't pay more than 400k, so the buyer can still choose how much he wants to pay.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 05:52:51 pm by Lolys2 »

Mining stars since september 2014.

Offline Drugs

• Liked: 3660 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 06:01:36 pm »
This is what bugged me, I wasn't sure so thanks for that <confirming my fears>
didn't read it all, but if you sold a fury for 1gp and im fairly sure there were loads of mercher buying 15% above marketvalue, and you got 1gp... then wat.

Offline Zudikas95187

• Liked: 276 times
  • +0/-0
  • -
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 08:45:16 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I see the frustration over the current GE system but it was made to ensure that price manipulations are not possible. I was thinking of adding the GE, like it is right now, for quite a while and decided it would be the best solution that the sold price is the price the item will always go for. I'll try to explain why.

In a scenario where you sell an item for 1gp, it 'should' return the buyer who offers most for it? I mean, that'd be the preferred way for the seller, to get the highest possible value out of it. Though, we end up in exactly the same problem we currently have, just the other way around. If you buy an item for a way too high price, you'd definitely pay that price. So the same problem but on the buyer's end this time. The only solution for this problem that I could come up with, was to find an acceptable price for both parties. So let's say you sell your robin boots for 1gp and I buy them for 200m. What price should be chosen? When I put restrictions to the buy and sell margins, I effectively create a method to control the market. What should happen in that case, should the transaction return the estimated value of the item? That'd mean that people would have difficulties selling an item above the estimated values.

You see in theory it sounds really easy to say you should get the best possible offer, no matter if you buy and sell an item. Though, to get this simple sentence running in a program... not so easy. I couldn't find a solution to this problem, so I've chosen a method that definitely works. Always returning the price of the buyer would be the next alternative, but I thought that's it always fair to get the price of an item that you wish to sell. You choose what you sell it for, the system ensures you get the price. That's also the way auction houses handle transactions, with the difference of not being able to see all offers.
i read it all, and in theory, yours method should work better, but did you consider what would actually suit the players better? otto's suggested idea is much more comfortable than trying to get the right price to sell for about 6 million times, i'd much rather put my vesta's chainbody for 10m, and get the highest price that is offered, as long as it is above 10m, and i'm willing to lose profit, than wasting my time deciding between 10-20m prices.

Offline Someone12116

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 09:03:22 pm »

Valid reasoning. Instead of putting items for sale at 1 gp, just gotta do it at a price I'm personally comfortable selling it. However, it would be a shame if a player who's familiar with the RS GE lost large pile of cash because they put something really expensive for sale at a really cheap price. I think there should be a warning when trying to sell something cheap on GE.
Pages: 1