The world is currently online!

Welcome to Emps-World!

Register now to gain access to all of our forum features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies, send private messages, manage your profile, chat with other players in the shoutbox and much more. Once you sign in, this message will disappear.

Pages: 1

Offline Lars

• Liked: 426 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Need some advice picking parts for new pc build
« on: May 25, 2017, 02:48:35 pm »
Hello friends, I am planning on building a new pc.
- I will mainly use this pc for gaming (e.g. battlefield 1, witcher 3)
- I won't be using it for heavy multi core duties (e.g. editing, modeling, streaming)

I am deciding between a r5 1600 and an i5 7600k build.
I realize the 7600k will have better perormance when it comes to pure gaming, however I think the 1600 will last longer due to future games utilizing more cores. (battlefield 1 already uses like 80-95% of an i5 7600k cpu, at least in the benchmarks I've seen)

Ryzen build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/R96HZ8
Intel build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kPdPd6

A list of pros and cons I've found so far.

Ryzen pros
- Cheaper
- Comes with a capable stock cooler which supports a 3.7Ghz OC
- Better performance in basically everything but gaming
- Possibly better performance when games start to use more cores.

Ryzen cons
- Very new, bugs?
- Slightly worse gaming performance

Intel pros
- Better gaming performance
- Very reliable

Intel cons
- More expensive
- Requires Z mobo's, which are also a bit more expensive
- Requires a good cooler, again more expensive
- Worse performance in everything but gaming
- In some benchmarks the lowest 1% of fps were much lower than those of the r5 1600, even though average fps was slightly higher

I plan on gaming in 1080p on a 144hz monitor on high settings for games such as the witcher 3 and low to med settings for fps games.

So please give me some feedback/advices, mainly on the i5/r5 debate but also on the other hardware I picked (GPU, PSU, MOBO and monitor)

Thanks.

Offline Charr

• Liked: 3225 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Need some advice picking parts for new pc build
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2017, 02:59:25 pm »
>Building a pc but not showing the case you're building it in

I'd personally go with intel, ryzen is too new for me.
;

Offline 3st Ranger X

• Liked: 236 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2017, 03:06:38 pm »
What the hell? Who buys Windows in 2K17 ???
Also, take 4x4 Ram instead of 2x8.
And i'd go with I5.

Offline Lars

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2017, 03:07:26 pm »
>Building a pc but not showing the case you're building it in

I'd personally go with intel, ryzen is too new for me.
Yeh haven't really looked into cases yet, especially since ordering on newegg adds like 60 euro's to the total shipping costs so I'll have look locally or on amazon.de. However I'll probably pick a pretty generic 50 euro case so it shouldn't have an impact on the performance of the 2 builds.

What the hell? Who buys Windows in 2K17 ???
Also, take 4x4 Ram instead of 2x8.
I just listed it because it's the OS I'll be using, haven't decided how to get it yet.

Also, why 4x4 instead of 2x8?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2017, 03:09:49 pm by Lars »

Offline Charr

• Liked: 3225 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2017, 10:26:26 am »
Yeh haven't really looked into cases yet, especially since ordering on newegg adds like 60 euro's to the total shipping costs so I'll have look locally or on amazon.de. However I'll probably pick a pretty generic 50 euro case so it shouldn't have an impact on the performance of the 2 builds.
Might be worth getting a case with dust filters. They're nice.

Also, why 4x4 instead of 2x8?
Is probably cheaper
;

Offline Crusher123

• Liked: 428 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 09:59:20 pm »
7600k- Pros: Higher maximum FPS due to maturity of platform, higher IPC per core, and higher clockspeed. Cons: Expensive for a 4/4 chip, requires Z270 to overclock, requires aftermarket CPU cooler, poor price/performance for total cost, not very "future proof" and the platform is being retired so the 7700k is your only upgrade choice.
1600- Pros: Much better multi-threaded performance across the board, on par with the Intel 6800k ($400), offers very stable performance in games due to massive CPU overhead, includes great cooler, can OC to 3.7ghz out of the box with the B350 or x370 motherboard, cheap platform cost, AM4 has 4 year lifespan to it, etc. Cons: 10-15% less maximum framerate, so not as good for 144hz setups, Ryzen platform is brand spankin' new so some bugs and quirks need to be ironed out.

And just by watching this comparison here i'd go with Intel aswell.

That's what i would go with -
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6YhCPs

I removed the windows, took a bit cheaper ram (there is no real difference between "3200" or "2400" and it's future proof to have another 2 slots open for future memory upgrades) and i got you a EVGA GTX 1080 in there aswell.

Offline Lars

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2017, 10:39:09 pm »
7600k- Pros: Higher maximum FPS due to maturity of platform, higher IPC per core, and higher clockspeed. Cons: Expensive for a 4/4 chip, requires Z270 to overclock, requires aftermarket CPU cooler, poor price/performance for total cost, not very "future proof" and the platform is being retired so the 7700k is your only upgrade choice.
1600- Pros: Much better multi-threaded performance across the board, on par with the Intel 6800k ($400), offers very stable performance in games due to massive CPU overhead, includes great cooler, can OC to 3.7ghz out of the box with the B350 or x370 motherboard, cheap platform cost, AM4 has 4 year lifespan to it, etc. Cons: 10-15% less maximum framerate, so not as good for 144hz setups, Ryzen platform is brand spankin' new so some bugs and quirks need to be ironed out.

And just by watching this comparison here i'd go with Intel aswell.

That's what i would go with -
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6YhCPs

I removed the windows, took a bit cheaper ram (there is no real difference between "3200" or "2400" and it's future proof to have another 2 slots open for future memory upgrades) and i got you a EVGA GTX 1080 in there aswell.
I'm really really really leaning towards the ryzen 1600 tbh. Yes it is true the 7600k has higher gaming performance due to higher single core performance, but since I will be GPU bound when playing most games the 10, maybe 20 frames aren't a big deal to me.

Also I've watched a ton of gaming benchmarks, especially on bf1 (the game I will be playing the most, and a game that is pretty CPU heavy), and in those the r1600 beats the i5 7600k on average fps and also on lowest 1/0.1% fps.

That + the fact that the 6/12 of the r5 might be much more important in future gaming made me lean towards the r5 1600.

Also I see you've opted for a gtx 1080 but I really don't think I'll be needing one. From what I've read, the 1070 with an i5 or r5 will be sufficient (pretty much perfect) to game in 1080p at 144hz (probably gotta turn the graphics down to med-high but I don't really care about that when playing fps games, and when playing open world games I don't really care about frames above 100). Buying a 1070 now for pretty much 100-150 euros less than a 1080, and upgrading in 2-4 years is a much better deal imo.

About the ram, I've heard mixing results. Some say higher mhz gives better performance, especially in combination with ryzen cpus, others say it doesn't really matter. Anyway I will still have to consult the QVL of my mobo manufacturer and look for a good deal. Maybe I can find some 3000 or 3200 that isn't too expensive, maybe I can't ;)

Offline Jonneh

• Liked: 578 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2017, 02:49:53 am »
I'd only go for Ryzen if it were an 8 core, otherwise generally I'd stick to the 7600k. 2x8gb is probably the better option, both the platforms you mentioned are only dual channel so you won't gain performance by using 4x4gb instead and probably only save like $2 by doing so while dicking upgradability.

Higher memory clocks do make a big difference for Ryzen if you do go down that route, especially in gaming, as the cores are split into 'groups', with the speed of communication between each group being tied to the memory clock speed. It's typically only a small difference in synthetic benchmarks as there is little generally little communication between threads, however in gaming there is much more communication between threads meaning much bigger impact.

It might also be worth swapping out the SSD for an M.2 NVME one (eg. SM961), you'll get much faster speeds but less capacity for your $.
ignore acc pls

Offline Lars

• +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2017, 07:39:49 pm »

It might also be worth swapping out the SSD for an M.2 NVME one (eg. SM961), you'll get much faster speeds but less capacity for your $.
Nah it's not needed right now. The extra speed is nice when transferring large files but that almost never happens. Games don't even utilize the full 500 mb speed of sata ssds atm so I won't be able to utilze m.2's. I can always upgrade in the future when prices of M.2's will probably be a lot lower.
Pages: 1