The world is currently online!

Welcome to Emps-World!

Register now to gain access to all of our forum features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies, send private messages, manage your profile, chat with other players in the shoutbox and much more. Once you sign in, this message will disappear.

Pages: 1

Offline Ekke

• Liked: 94 times
  • +0/-0
  • The inquisitive
    • View Profile
Learning programming online
« on: September 04, 2016, 08:09:40 pm »
I'm thinking of learning programming online. Has anyone here done that before and if so then what are some good places you would suggest?

Offline Kaarel 123

• Liked: 377 times
  • +0/-0
  • mak merica grate agen Ȃ̴̍͐͆̓̌̀̓̈̋̈̌̇̀͛̈́̉̈̒͒͘̕̚͝͝͠
    • View Profile
Re: Learning programming online
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 04:09:33 am »
I've learnt all my programming online. First it depends what language you wanna learn, some basic ones would be Java or C#. I personally started out with Visual Basic (you can google it), by watching YouTube tutorials. I've also found a cool set of apps on google play and most likely on appstore aswell, the developer of these learning apps is "Sololearn", highly recommend them. They have guides for multiple languages and they're all very well explained.

If you really wanna get into it then you could pay for tutorials, one of the websites where you can pay is Treehouse. Personally haven't paid a single penny though.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 03:16:29 pm by Kaarel 123 »

Ȃ̴̛̛̰̤̘͉̍͐͆̓̌̀̓̈̋̈̌̇̀͛̈́̉̈̒͒̋̂́̍̽̈̔̉̑̐͋̐̾͛̎̄͛́̈́̅͐͋̃͋̿͂͂͛̋͛̆͊̐̋͗͒͊͋̈́͛͑͑̉̉͒͌͆̾̂̈́̋̆̍̓̊̄̑̈͒̒͆͑̋̿̄͌͒͛́̑̿̑͗̇͋̈́̅̎̍͘̕̚̚͘͘͘̚̚̚̕͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝
̶̡̡̨̢̨̨̨̢̢̡̢̛̛̛̙̟̗͎͍̞̪̖͙͓͖̥̗̲̬̫̬̝͉͔͍̻̹̙͕̱̮̲̺̭͉͔̹̖̮̖͖̳͉̩͙̲͚̝̲̺̥̬̰̝͙̤̭͕̝̯̺͔͎̜̳͙̖̫͉͉̗͉̱̭̗̱̦̭̹̗͓̤̟̻̞͂͌̌́̀̌̾͊̅̾̊̅̈́̈́͂̆̔̊̑̂̽̔̌̀͗̈́̃͆͗̌́̀͋̈̌͗̐͌̃̌͒̏̆̊͆̓̊̀͒̑̈̀̈́͑̏̋͆̇̈́̽̍̽̃̾̔̈́̀̾̈́͂̌̈́̐̃̊̀̌̇̾͛̽̽́̌̓̅̉̓̎̊̄̇̓̈́̎́̿̍͂̑̌̂̀̔̏͛̆͒͛̃̌̋͘̕̚̚͘͘͜͜͝͝͝͝ͅͅ

Offline Fry Chickens

• Liked: 10 times
  • +0/-0
  • KFC Manager.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 05:15:20 pm »
I've used this site for some basics.

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/

Offline Ekke

• Liked: 94 times
  • +0/-0
  • The inquisitive
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 08:30:29 pm »
I'd like to learn C#, Java and html. Apps would fit me I guess, I'd prefer websites. Any suggestions Kaarel?

Offline Il Skill L

• Liked: 1275 times
  • +0/-0
  • ༼つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Tyvm Karel for great avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 05:08:15 pm »
you might wanna try https://www.codecademy.com/
I did try it and learn a little but just didn't have the patience

King125: minimum wage in estonia 2.5€ wtf
King125: 25€ for 10h work day :D :D :D
King125: i could make more sucking emps scape dick
The following users liked this post: Jonneh, S Clegane

Offline Tulrak

• Liked: 667 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 06:28:46 pm »

I've finished the whole thing, it's nothing special. It's kind of fun in a way if you're interested in it and might even be fun and cause you to get more interested in programming if you weren't interested in it before, but as for actually learning programming I would consider it a waste of time.
I tried a few other sites similar to it, but where I found something that was actually serious about teaching was when I started Harvard's CS50x course, which is an online course that anyone can take for free (you have to pay if you want to get a certificate of having completed the course, but you can pay for the certificate after you complete the course as well so don't spend too much time thinking about whether you want to pay for one right away)
https://courses.edx.org/courses/course-v1:HarvardX+CS50+X/info
I've not yet completed the whole course, but I plan to and the course also includes recommended reading for programming books, some of which are available online for free, others I borrowed from pirate sites.
Getting programming books seems to be the best way to go, so whether or not you try the course, definitely acquire books.
If you do try the course then don't worry about it being close to the end of the year either, the deadline was extended till December 31, 2017.
The following users liked this post: Icedrags, Il Skill L, Wg Iron, S Clegane

Offline Kaarel 123

• Liked: 377 times
  • +0/-0
  • mak merica grate agen Ȃ̴̍͐͆̓̌̀̓̈̋̈̌̇̀͛̈́̉̈̒͒͘̕̚͝͝͠
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 07:12:28 pm »

I've finished the whole thing, it's nothing special. It's kind of fun in a way if you're interested in it and might even be fun and cause you to get more interested in programming if you weren't interested in it before, but as for actually learning programming I would consider it a waste of time.
I tried a few other sites similar to it, but where I found something that was actually serious about teaching was when I started Harvard's CS50x course, which is an online course that anyone can take for free (you have to pay if you want to get a certificate of having completed the course, but you can pay for the certificate after you complete the course as well so don't spend too much time thinking about whether you want to pay for one right away)
https://courses.edx.org/courses/course-v1:HarvardX+CS50+X/info
I've not yet completed the whole course, but I plan to and the course also includes recommended reading for programming books, some of which are available online for free, others I borrowed from pirate sites.
Getting programming books seems to be the best way to go, so whether or not you try the course, definitely acquire books.
If you do try the course then don't worry about it being close to the end of the year either, the deadline was extended till December 31, 2017.
^^
Karel told me about CS50x course and it looked very professional and thorough.

Ȃ̴̛̛̰̤̘͉̍͐͆̓̌̀̓̈̋̈̌̇̀͛̈́̉̈̒͒̋̂́̍̽̈̔̉̑̐͋̐̾͛̎̄͛́̈́̅͐͋̃͋̿͂͂͛̋͛̆͊̐̋͗͒͊͋̈́͛͑͑̉̉͒͌͆̾̂̈́̋̆̍̓̊̄̑̈͒̒͆͑̋̿̄͌͒͛́̑̿̑͗̇͋̈́̅̎̍͘̕̚̚͘͘͘̚̚̚̕͝͝͠͝͝͝͝͝
̶̡̡̨̢̨̨̨̢̢̡̢̛̛̛̙̟̗͎͍̞̪̖͙͓͖̥̗̲̬̫̬̝͉͔͍̻̹̙͕̱̮̲̺̭͉͔̹̖̮̖͖̳͉̩͙̲͚̝̲̺̥̬̰̝͙̤̭͕̝̯̺͔͎̜̳͙̖̫͉͉̗͉̱̭̗̱̦̭̹̗͓̤̟̻̞͂͌̌́̀̌̾͊̅̾̊̅̈́̈́͂̆̔̊̑̂̽̔̌̀͗̈́̃͆͗̌́̀͋̈̌͗̐͌̃̌͒̏̆̊͆̓̊̀͒̑̈̀̈́͑̏̋͆̇̈́̽̍̽̃̾̔̈́̀̾̈́͂̌̈́̐̃̊̀̌̇̾͛̽̽́̌̓̅̉̓̎̊̄̇̓̈́̎́̿̍͂̑̌̂̀̔̏͛̆͒͛̃̌̋͘̕̚̚͘͘͜͜͝͝͝͝ͅͅ

Offline Just Random

• Liked: 1 times
  • +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 10:45:43 am »
all ya need for websites
www.w3schools.com/

Offline Eliminator

• Liked: 123 times
  • +0/-0
  • Everybody believes they are the good guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 12:17:46 pm »
I'm thinking of learning programming online. Has anyone here done that before and if so then what are some good places you would suggest?

Yup i grave dug, this child is dead anyhow.

Ekke, even-though i'm a bit late. there are many great sources for online learning. Is there anything specific? Specificity of certain subjects can/will involve a multitude of different sites.

Here are two quick examples of ones I've used.

- Drugs are bad, mmkay -

"The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people." - Charlie Chaplin

"Nothing inspires forgiveness quite like revenge." - Scott Adams
The following users liked this post: Kaner
Pages: 1